Yourimbah supports the University of Newcastle (UON) in taking all allegations of misconduct seriously – including allegations of sexually based assault and harassment.
UON will not tolerate behaviour that compromises the safety and wellbeing of staff or students.
Please refer to the UON page 'Consent Matters' for support services and contact details.
Concerning Behaviour - Advice and Response Contacts Ourimbah campus
The Australian Human Rights Commission issued a report titled Change the Course: National Report on Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment at Australian Universities – 2017’ Download it here
University of Newcastle survey results Download it here
Update from the Yourimbah President
As the second anniversary of the release of the Change the Course: National report on sexual assault and sexual harassment at Australian Universities was on 1 August 2019, the President of Yourimbah, Chair of the Student Representative Committee, Karen Dimmock, referred to Professor Liz Burd for an update.
During the past two years, UoN has committed to ensuring an effective, sensitive and coordinated approach to preventing and managing incidents of sexual assault and sexual harassment. Consequently, a number of initiatives have been undertaken by the University:
• Establishment of the Sexual Misconduct Working Group.
• New Policies have been developed by the University to deal with sexual assault or harassment.
• UON's After-hours Crisis Support Line has been established
• The UON student webpages now include a clear path to support for students with problems regarding sexual assault, harassment and crisis support.
• Campus Care is now easier to find and offers information, advice and support for everyone at UON.
• If anyone has concerns regarding inappropriate, concerning or threatening behaviour, there is now a much easier option for anonymous reporting available.
• The #NoRoomFor initiative has been established to support a safe and respectful student community, with a number of campaigns identifying types of behaviour and attitudes that the University and Student Community do not support.
UON’s After-hours Crisis Support Line 1300 653 007 is available to all students, and can be contacted weekdays 5pm – 9pm, and 24 hours on weekends and public holidays